As a strict herbivore, guinea pig is very fond of fresh vegetables. But which ones to give? What can guinea pigs eat daily? What do guinea pigs eat vegetables? Are some vegetables “better” than others for guinea pigs? In this article, we will answer all those questions and discuss the ideal guinea pig food chart for you.
Too many enthusiasts give vegetables only occasionally to their guinea pig for the following reasons:
- It’s too expensive.
- It is too restrictive to buy regularly.
- Pet sellers say it’s bad for guinea pigs (to sell you more pellets!)
Indeed, the guinea pig’s diet consists mainly of hay, but also vegetables (and a little fruit) play an important role. Ever wonder, what do guinea pigs eat in the wild? Plants, vegetables, and fruits!
What Do Guinea Pigs Eat Vegetables?
A guinea pig must consume at least 1/10th of its weight in fresh vegetables every day! That is to say that an adult guinea pig of 1 kg, must eat at least 100 gm of vegetables per day.
What are some of the best veggies for guinea pigs daily? Here are some examples:
- Beet (bulb)
- Swiss chard
- Carrot (vegetable and tops)
- Celery Rave
- Celery branch
- Green cabbage
- Brussels sprouts
- Chinese cabbage
- Cabbage Rave
- Carrot tops
- Beet leaves
- Radish leaves
- Chewed up
- Roman salad
- Curly lettuce
- Jerusalem artichoke
And do not forget, some unsweetened fruits are also considered as vegetables!
How To Give Vegetables?
Vegetables should always be:
- Greens and deciduous: Guinea pigs prefer green leafy vegetables rather than root vegetables.
- Varied: Give at least 2 to 3 different vegetables every day, or at least 1 mixed vegetable each day of the week! Your guinea pig can benefit from many vitamins and other nutrients.
- Distributed several times: Give the vegetables in several rations so that your guinea pig does not eat all at once and does not suffer from digestive problems.
- Raw: Guinea pigs are herbivore. They don’t eat cooked vegetables!
- Washed and dried: Remove all traces of soil, pesticides, anti-bacterial treatments, etc.
- At room temperature: They must not be taken directly out of the fridge. Vegetables that are too cold can cause digestive problems.
- Fresh: Do not give peelings, spoiled vegetables, too ripe, with traces of mold.
- Organic: Choose vegetables without pesticides!
- Introduced gradually into the diet: If your guinea pig comes from a pet shop, he may not have been used to vegetables. At first, give a few leaves. Increase the dose with time if you see that your guinea pig has no digestive problems (diarrhea).
At What Age Can We Start Giving Vegetables?
The baby guinea pig eats vegetables from the first days of its life! On the other hand, young guinea pigs are probably not used to vegetables, so you may have to introduce vegetables gradually into the diet.
Some frequently asked questions about the Guinea pig diet are:
- Can guinea pigs eat lettuce?- Yes, absolutely
- What do guinea pigs play with? – Toys, balls, paper, and even food.
- What do guinea pigs drink?- Mostly water
Vegetables are an essential part of the guinea pig diet. You should not miss that! For a healthy and happy pet, give your guinea pig plenty of water, vegetables, and fruits.