Bedding is one of the most important elements of your guinea pig’s cage. Your guinea pig will spend most of his life in his cage, and therefore on his bedding. The best bedding will keep him alive for as long as possible without significant health problems, or without affecting his health. On the other hand, infested bedding is often the number one factor in the state of health of your guinea pig.
Among many types of bedding, some prefer cheaper ways like paper, newspaper, etc. But can you use newspaper for guinea pig bedding in real? Let’s see if that’s even an option.
Yes, you can.
It is an excellent base to line the floor of the cage. However, many guinea pigs, especially if they are bored, tear it up and the ink of the newspaper can be harmful to them if they ingest too much.
However, shredded paper for guinea pig bedding is a quick, easy, and convenient. And a very economical way to ensure your pet has a comfortable and safe place to sleep.
Benefits Of Using Newspaper As Bedding For Guinea Pig
How Can You Make Newspaper Bedding?
If you want a cheaper option, consider shredding the paper. This works perfectly well with all types of guinea pigs.Just shred newspapers and use it to cover the floor of your guinea pig’s cage.
Risks Of Using Newspaper As Bedding
First of all, your guinea pig will be tempted to tear off the newspaper with its teeth and chew it.
Ingesting newspaper is terrible for his health because the newspaper is toxic as it is printed with ink. Other than that, eating and swallowing newspaper is a big concern for digestion. Bowel obstruction may also occur. Besides, the ink of the newspaper, mixed with the urine, releases toxic gas.
Finally, note that the newspaper does not retain any odor. What’s more, it must be changed daily.
Why Does Guinea Pig Eat Newspaper At The Bottom Of His Bedding?
The guinea pig expresses a lack of entertainment by this behavior. It is also possible that your guinea pig is bored. We must then think of entertaining him. Allow him to walk freely in the house safely.
Best Guinea Pig Bedding Ideas
- Litter of wood chips: Unfortunately, it is toxic!
- Wood shavings: Wood shavings for guinea pigs are not healthy.
- Hemp litter: Made from hemp cotton, it is not toxic!
- Corn litter: Corn litter is also an excellent alternative to wood chips. Pretty expensive.
- Straw: Often mistaken for hay, straw is a litter! It is quite comfortable and cheap.
- Other litters: bedding of flax, soft paper, or cellulose is sometimes used as bedding. They are perfect but expensive and hard to find!
Guinea Pig Bedding Alternatives
- Paper pellets: Appearance and feel similar to those of wood pellets, but made from recycled paper. An absorbent, safe and environmentally friendly litter with a definite advantage over wood pellets
- Brown craft paper
- Paper towel
- Megazorb- a suitable guinea pig substrate
- Soft paper granules
- Crumbled paper bedding
- Confetti paper bedding
You might wonder, “Do guinea pigs need bedding?” Surprisingly, yes. Bedding is as important as its feeding and habitat. Only good bedding along with pleasant environment will ensure its good health and longevity.