From the children to adults, chocolate is something that everyone loves to eat. Sweets like chocolate improve our mood as well as satisfies the cravings for sugar. Probably that is why our pets like to eat chocolate, too. But is it suitable for them?
A few weeks ago, I was feeding my Guinea Pigs. Suddenly my niece came there and asked, can guinea pigs eat chocolate chip cookies? Actually, I hadn’t any idea about it. So I did some research and then did not let her to feed chocolate to the Guinea Pigs. What to know why? Let’s discuss it—
Table of Contents
- Can Guinea Pigs Eat Chocolate?
- How much Chocolate Can Guinea Pigs Consume?
- Whether Guinea Pigs Like Chocolate or Not?
- Impact of Chocolates on The Health of Guinea Pig:
- Health Hazards of Guinea Pigs Related to Chocolate :
- What to Do If Your Guinea Pig eats Chocolate Accidentally?
- Ideal Alternative Foods for Guinea Pigs :
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Chocolate?
Well, the answer can not be given in a nutshell, but surely chocolates are not the best food for guinea pigs. Even chocolates are not Guinea Pig food as well. Though chocolate has some advantages for the human being, it is toxic for the guinea pig, as it can kill your loving pet.
How much Chocolate Can Guinea Pigs Consume?
The short answer is, not at all. Even a tiny piece of chocolate can make your pet sick. So if you want a healthy life for your guinea pigs, do not offer them chocolates.
Whether Guinea Pigs Like Chocolate or Not?
Well, it is a common incidence that guinea pigs accidentally eat chocolates that bring up very sad results. So it is possible that guinea pigs may like chocolates, but their health is more important, right? You should always keep the chocolates away from your guinea pigs.
Impact of Chocolates on The Health of Guinea Pig:
Chocolate has many negative impacts on the health of guinea pigs.
First of all, we know that guinea pigs have a very fragile digestive system, so it is very hard to digest sugar for their sensitive stomach.Secondly, chocolate has a caffeine like nutrient, which is known as Theobromine, which is also very hard to digest. So if you feed chocolate to your loving pets, they can suffer from pain, and even stool change.
Health Hazards of Guinea Pigs Related to Chocolate :
1. Obesity: This is the most common problem of eating chocolate. Chocolate contains a lot of calories, carbs, sugar, so it plays a vital role in gaining weight.
However, if you consume a little bit of chocolate daily, you won’t suffer from this problem. But when it comes to your guinea pig, it should not eat chocolate at all, because it will cause not only obesity, but also many other health issues.
2. Blood Pressure Problems: As the Theobromine acts like caffeine, it stimulates nervous system and also boosts metabolism. It results in an increased heart rate. For the tiny body of Guinea Pig, it is so harmful; even it can be fatal.
3. Problem in Digestion: Chocolate contains Theobromine and sugar. Both of the nutrients are very hard to digest for your little pet. Also, chocolate contains a good amount of cholesterol, which is not easy to digest as well.
If your Guinea Pig eats chocolate a little bit, it will feel stomach pain and crumps, also change in the stool may occur.
If the Guinea Pig eats some more chocolate, it may suffer from nausea, vomiting, and even diarrhea.
4. Problems of Urinary System: Chocolate contains calcium and phosphorus, which are the most dangerous nutrients for the urinary system of Guinea Pig. The possible complications are—
- Bladder stone
- Kidney stone
- Presence of blood in the urine
- Painful urination
- Urinary infection
- And even renal failure can occur.
I hope you have no confusion about feeding chocolate to your pet. But still, some of you may ask, can Guinea Pigs eat ice cream?
I’m sorry, dear, the answer is, no, because ice cream also contains a lot of sugar. In fact, chocolate milk, cake, mousse, brownies, biscuits all of the food items are forbidden for guinea pigs.
What to Do If Your Guinea Pig eats Chocolate Accidentally?
You need to remember that prevention is better than cure. So you should always be aware of the food of your pet.
But still, accidents can happen at any time or any situation.
If your Guinea Pigs accidentally eat chocolate, don’t be panic. Try to figure out how much chocolate your pet consumed.
If the amount is a little bit, the Guinea Pig will suffer from digestive problems and crumps, but it won’t be anything serious.
If it consumes a lot of chocolate, severe diarrhea and nausea can happen.
Whether the amount of chocolate was, you should call and inform a vet as soon as possible.
Ideal Alternative Foods for Guinea Pigs :
Now you must be thinking, what are the alternatives of chocolate for your pet? You will be happy to know that there are many Guinea Pig foods that are stomach friendly for the Guinea Pigs.
Leafy green vegetables, such as romaine lettuce, parsley, cilantro, kale, etc. also can be the best option for guinea pigs. Red and green pepper, broccoli, tomato are also important for guinea pigs as they are rich in Vitamin C. You can also feed sweet potato, carrot, zucchini to your pet once or twice a week.
Lastly, one thing you need to consider that you can not always be careful about the food of your pet. Sometimes accidentally your guinea pigs can consume chocolate, cake, ice cream, or other foods that are not safe for them.
So, you need to observe them if they are having any problems or not, or you can also meet a veterinarian for a routine check-up. Do not be anxious if something is wrong.
I think now you don’t have any confusion that can guinea pigs eat chocolate or not. If you have any queries, feel free to comment below.
Hay is a very useful source of vitamins for these animals. Anything like snap peas, if added, makes a supplementary source of nutrients. Don’t overfeed because excess intake of certain nutrients can only cause your prized pet some major health complications.